Georgia Tech chemistry professor Wyatt C. Whitley served as EES director from 1963 to 1968.
Whitley started with the EES in 1955 as chief of the chemical sciences division, and was later named associate director. Upon then-Director Robert E. Stiemke's appointment to the post of Administrator of Research at Georgia Tech, Whitley became director.
During Whitley's tenure, the level of research activity at EES increased to $7 million from $4 million, and the full-time staff increased by 33 percent.
The Electronics Research Building, completed in 1966, allowed for a large number of the EES research activities to move from more than a dozen temporary locations to under one roof.
And before Whitley's retirement in 1968, the Baker Building--currently home to GTRI Electronic Systems Laboratory (ELSYS)--was under construction.
He was a member of the following organizations: Georgia Academy of Science, American Nuclear Society, American Institute of Chemical Engineers, Georgia Tech Research Club, past president of the Georgia Chapter of the Amercian Chemistry Society, Sigma Xi, Golden Bough, Alpha Chi Sigma, Phi Kappa Phi, Gamma Sigma Epsilon, Phi Lambda Upsilon, and Optimist International, where he was the Georgia District governor in 1968.
Whitley served on the board of directors for the Warren Memorial Boys Club and Atlanta YMCA, was a deacon at 2nd Ponce de Leon Baptist Church.
Whitley was born in Tennessee in 1900. He received his bachelor of science degree in Chemistry from Wake Forest College in 1929, his master of science degree in chemistry from Georgia Tech in 1934, and his Ph.D. from the University of Wisconsin.
Whitley died in November 1982.
For more, visit the Wikipedia article on Wyatt C. Whitley.